Weed Puller And Weed Removal Tools: What Should You Use?
According to a lot of reports, the Fiskars Uproot Weed and Root Remover is among the best weed removal tools you can use.
There are plenty of reasons why you really need to learn how to remove weeds from lawn and garden areas. Weeds reduce the quality of the crops by competing for various crop resources such as water and nutrition from the soil. They can provide shelter for insects and become hosts for crop diseases. They may even produce chemicals that are harmful to people, animals, and other plants.
Weeds also don’t look as good in a garden. And when other people find weeds in your lawn or garden, they don’t especially think well of you.
And that leads to a crucial question. Just how should you remove weeds from your lawn or garden?
One of the most recommended ways of removing weeds from a garden is by pulling them by hand. It doesn’t take a lot of time and it doesn’t need tools. All you need to do is to make sure that you’re pulling out the whole weed including the roots.
Unfortunately, this method isn’t exactly beloved by most gardening enthusiasts. That’s because it’s laborious, and you end up with sore hands and back aches. And it doesn’t really work for all types of weeds. Some weeds like dandelions just don’t seem to cooperate when you try to pull them out by hand.
Another quick way to do this is to just use chemicals such as pesticides. You’ll have to be careful in your choice of chemicals to use. You need a product that can deal with many types of weeds, while at the same time it shouldn’t damage your lawn. And you’ll need to make sure you put enough of the chemical to actually kill the weeds.
Still, chemicals for this purpose are not exactly friendly for the environment. They pollute the air, water and soil, and rain water can transfer them to other areas. They pose a health risk to people and animals when touched or inhaled. And weeds tend to develop a resistance to particular chemicals as well. And when the weeds die, you still need to pull them out.
So what we need is a way to remove weeds without resorting to the purely manual method, and without using chemicals that can be as harmful as they are helpful. And that means using mechanical tools that help in the manual process.
Defining the Best Tool to Use
It’s not all that hard to imagine what kind of features you need to help you remove weeds from your lawn.
Here are some of the more obvious features of the best weed removal tool:
- They should allow you to remove weeds painlessly. This means you can do it standing up, so you don’t have an aching back from bending a lot or sore knees from kneeling for too long. You also don’t get sore hands from pulling out tough weeds.
- The tool should be easy to use. If it’s too complicated, then it’s too much trouble to use. Many people who let weeds proliferate in their lawns hate the inconvenience of pulling out weeds by hand. They may have the same excuse when the tool is too troublesome to use.
- It should last for a good long while. Flimsy tools are simply out of the question.
- They should come at a reasonable cost. Of course, what’s reasonable to one may be exorbitant to another. But you have to ask yourself this question: just how much are you willing to pay for a weed removal tool that helps you do the task efficiently while also helping you avoid all the aches and pains?
Some of the tools you may find online and in shops may seem really cheap, but that may mean that the build quality is cheap as well. You end up spending more money when you need to buy these tools every so often.
Among the many weed removal tools you’ll find online, the ones made by Fiskars are especially effective. The Fiskars weed remover called the Fiskars Uproot Weed and Root Remover is especially worthy of consideration.
It looks like some sort of L-shaped hoe, with the handle measuring about 39 inches. That’s long enough for you to use it on weeds on the ground without having to bend or kneel. It’s also quite light, as the handle is made from aluminum.
At the end of it, there are claws that pull out the roots, and then there’s also a foot platform to step on so the claws dig deep into the earth. So you just align the claws over the weed, force the claws into the ground by stepping on the foot platform, and pull the handle back against the foot pedal to remove the claws. To make sure the entire process is easier for you, it’s best to do this after it rains or after a night of using a sprinkler.
After you’ve pulled the weeds out, there’s even an ejector system on the handle so you can just drop the weeds into a handy bucket without having to remove the weeds out by hand.
Here are a few more advantages:
- The claws are serrated and made from stainless steel, so they can really pull out even the toughest weeds. This makes the Fiskars Uproot Weed and Root Remover a handy dandelion removal tool and you can also use them for other weeds which often need to be dug out before they can be pulled out properly.
- The quality of the build is quite high. Fiskars certainly has a lot of confidence in its durability because they offer a lifetime warranty.
- It’s also very satisfying to use. It’s almost enjoyable to use actually, and that’s probably not an adjective you’d use for an activity like this. But it may be the tool you need to entice your teenage kids to help out with maintaining the lawn.
The price depends on the seller you buy it from, but some offer it for as low as $30. But it has received hundreds of glowing reviews, so you know it works beautifully. And it will certainly last you for a very long time.